Virtual Apprenticeship (Paid)
Schmidt Public Affairs offers paid apprenticeships to talented applicants who are able to commit to 3-6 months and at least 25 hours or up to 40 hours per week, with flexible hours available for those in school. Our office is working remotely during the pandemic and our new apprentice will be expected to work remotely as well until it is safe to return to the office setting.
As an apprentice at Schmidt Public Affairs, you will work closely with senior members of our team, gaining hands-on experience executing public affairs, grassroots advocacy, government and media relations campaigns on behalf of coalition, nonprofit, and corporate clients in the health policy space. Equipped with experience and industry contacts, our past apprentices have been successful in securing long-term employment in communications-related fields upon completion of the apprenticeship*.
SPA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees and apprentices.
- Conduct daily news monitoring and clip distribution
- Pitch local and state media
- Manage and update media lists
- Coordinate Congressional tours, meetings and events
- Draft and edit communication materials including press releases, letters to the editor, ad copy, legislative updates, grassroots content, e-newsletters and blog posts
- Assist in the development and production of client reports
- Assist with event coordination
- Assist with social media monitoring and content development
Desired qualities and skills:
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Interest in building leadership potential in advocacy, communications, or policy fields
- Interest in healthcare advocacy
- Prior internship in a public affairs or government affairs setting
- B.A. or B.S. in communications, political science, or related field (Degree-seeking Juniors and Seniors will also be considered
Interested in an apprenticeship at Schmidt Public Affairs? Send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that while we are very successful in helping our apprentices secure employment in communications-related fields, we cannot guarantee placement in a long-term position at Schmidt Public Affairs or elsewhere.