Schmidt Public Affairs offers paid apprenticeships (including parking/Metro reimbursement) to talented applicants who are able to commit to 3-6 months and at least 25 hours or up to 40 hours per week, with flexible hours available for those in school.
As an apprentice at Schmidt Public Affairs you will work closely with senior members of our team, gaining hands-on experience executing public affairs, grassroots advocacy, government and media relations campaigns on behalf of coalition, nonprofit, and corporate clients in the health policy space. Armed with experience and industry contacts, our past apprentices have been successful in securing long-term employment in communications-related fields upon completion of the apprenticeship*.
- Conduct daily news monitoring and clip distribution
- Pitch local and state media
- Manage and update media lists
- Coordinate Congressional tours, meetings and events
- Draft and edit communication materials including press releases, letters to the editor, ad copy, legislative updates, e-newsletters and blog posts
- Assist in the development and production of client reports
- Assist with event coordination and on-site staffing
- Assist with social media monitoring and content development
Desired qualities and skills:
- B.A. or B.S. in communications, political science, or related field (Degree-seeking Juniors and Seniors will also be considered)
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Interest in healthcare space
- Prior internship in a public affairs or government affairs setting
Interested in an apprenticeship at Schmidt Public Affairs? Send a cover letter, resume, and 2-3 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Please note that while we are very successful in helping our apprentices secure employment in communications-related fields, we cannot not guarantee placement in a long-term position at Schmidt Public Affairs or elsewhere.