State Advocacy Campaign
By the numbers
- $600,000 total campaign budget
- 25 facility tours with lawmakers
- 1,500 letters sent to state legislators
- 40 positive mentions in statewide media
- $60 million gained in general revenue funding
To build support for increasing state Medicaid funding for skilled nursing care, Texas, Schmidt Public Affairs developed a comprehensive, state-level public affairs campaign for the Texas Health Care Association that included focus group message testing, facility tours, grassroots advocacy toolkits, aggressive media relations, strategic paid advertising, and an online action center. The campaign successfully educated lawmakers and the public about the value of nursing home care, helping Texas nursing homes secure $160 million in new general revenue funding and 30% of all healthcare funding. The victory was the largest of all Texas healthcare providers that year.