Rheumatic Disease Awareness Month
By the Numbers
- 5 million PSA impressions – including Food Network, Travel Channel, Bravo, Lifetime, ABC Family, and network affiliates in major media markets
- $2.1 million in equivalent advertising
- 2 million Twitter impressions
- 6 million WebMD impressions
- 15,000 unique visitors to RDAM’s online landing page
- 36 positive media stories about RDAM
- Bipartisan resolution in the U.S. House of Representatives designating September as Rheumatic Disease Awareness Month
Brushing your hair, buttoning a shirt, making breakfast – imagine waking up every morning and finding it difficult to perform these simple tasks. Unfortunately, this barely scratches the surface of what it feels like to live with a rheumatic disease. Despite affecting one in four Americans, rheumatic diseases are often misunderstood – and misdiagnosed.
To raise awareness about rheumatic diseases and facilitate early intervention and treatment from a rheumatologist, Schmidt Public Affairs helped the American College of Rheumatology conceptualize and launch Rheumatic Disease Awareness Month, an annual event celebrated for the first time in September 2016.
Schmidt Public Affairs helped the ACR plan and strategize the event, conducted member and partner outreach, developed communications materials, and managed media outreach, paid advertising, social media and grassroots advocacy support. The month-long campaign included a website, online advocacy toolkit, social media outreach and a national broadcast public service announcement featuring actress Jennie Garth, whose daughter lives with Still’s Disease.